It’s that time of year! EVERYTHING is pumpkin flavored and packed with sugar, which is sad because pumpkin is delicious. That is why I have been recreating my favorite fall pumpkin recipes and this soup is one of them.
I love pumpkin for many reasons:
- Packed with fiber and complex carbs but not too many so it helps fill you up without spiking your blood sugar
- Contains Vitamin A and antioxidants in its beautiful orange color as well as B Vitamins
- It can be savory OR sweet! This is my favorite thing about pumpkin. You can bake it in the oven with butter, salt and pepper or blend it in a soup with coconut milk and cinnamon. It can cure any craving!
This soup makes 10 cups! You can make the whole batch and freeze half or share with friends and family
- 3lb Cubed Sugar Pumpkin
- 1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 6 Garlic Cloves, Chopped
- 4 Organic Carrots, Chopped
- 1 Organic Apple, Chopped
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1½ Tbsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 4 cups Organic Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsp Organic Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Allspice
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Sage
- 1 can Light Coconut Milk (I like Trader Joe's brand)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place pumpkin on tray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil on it. Chop up onion, garlic, carrots, and apple and place around pumpkin. Bake for 45-60 minutes.
- Once the veggies are cooked, heat up a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in coconut oil and all spices. Stir 1 minute.
- Add in chicken broth, maple syrup and vegetables. Mix and bring to a boil then reduce to low.
- In batches, pour the soup mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour smooth soup mixture back into the large sauce pan on low. Add in the can of coconut milk and mix until all incorporated.
- Your soup is now ready!