Sometimes I like to have dessert for breakfast! I came up with the Cookie Dough Smoothie the morning after I made “PN Raw Chocolate Chip Cookies” (recipe coming soon!). I woke up wanting to have one of the cookies I made for breakfast. Although they taste good and have very clean ingredients, they don’t have enough protein to be considered a healthy breakfast. So, I decided to make the ingredients into a smoothie to satisfy my craving and give my body the protein it needed to start my day right.
This smoothie contains one of my favorite ingredients: raw cacao nibs (found in the health food section of most grocery stores). Cacao can be found in a powder or solid form, and is an amazing food for your body. Raw cacao is chocolate in its original, minimally processed state. If you’re used to sweetened chocolate, like most of us are, it will be a bitter at first, once you are accustomed to its unique flavor profile, just a small handful seems to do the trick in satisfying a chocolate craving. What’s in the raw cacao bean that we love so much?
The combination of important minerals such as Magnesium and Iron, fiber, healthy fat, and antioxidants have countless health benefits:
- By providing minerals that most people are deficient in, raw cacao may help decrease sugar/carbohydrate cravings
- Raw cacao promotes a healthy digestive system with all the fiber it adds to the diet
- Contains “theombromine”, a protein that stimulates the central nervous system, which relaxes smooth muscles and gives the body a gentle boost of energy and feeling of “bliss” we often get from eating chocolate (without the added sugar and ingredients from processed chocolate!)
- Improves overall mood and may help fight depression due to its ability increase the bioavailability of Serotonin to the brain
Have we convinced you to try out some Raw Cacao yet?! Check out the recipe below and let us know what you think!
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 packet "stevia in the raw" or other natural sweetener (honey or maple syrup)
- 2 TBLS (15 grams worth) unflavored whey protein (we use Standard Process)
- 2 TBLS raw cacao nibs
- 2 TSP vanilla extract
- 2 TBLS coconut flour
- pinch of sea salt
- 2-3 ice cubes (more if you like it icier)
- ¼ cup water, or more to desired consistency
- Put all ingredients in blender. Blend until the smoothie has reached your desired consistency. Enjoy!
- Note: I usually add spinach and/or another leafy green to my smoothies. Since this is more of a "dessert" smoothies, I decided to leave it out. When I don't get greens in at breakfast, I make sure to be extra conscious of getting them in later in the day!
1 Protein, 1 Fat, ½ Carb
As always, stay well, eat well, and have a beautiful week!
Ana and Amanda