Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) isn’t as “far out” as it sounds- it’s simply made by taking the juice of fresh apples and allowing the process of fermentation (by adding bacteria and yeast) to turn the sugar from the apple juice into alcohol. After a bit more fermentation time the alcohol is turned into an acidic, sour tasting vinegar full of beneficial health properties (letting nature take its course always has healthy results!) It’s something that is inexpensive, easy to find, and can make a huge difference in overall health (a somewhat rare combination of attributes!). Its unique flavor can add some variety to using the usual balsamic or red wine vinegar in a dish or salad dressing. Including about 2 TBLS of ACV per day can benefit your body in many ways:
- Assists our body to detox (much needed after the holidays!)
- Prevents indigestion
- Helps reduce sugar/carb cravings
- May help improve a bacterial related tummy ache (or reduce discomfort after eating a large meal!)
- Helps to combat fatigue (rich in minerals our body may be missing such as magnesium and potassium)
- Makes your hair shine and teeth whiter- use ~1 TBLS of ACV in cold water a few times a week after shampooing and then rinse your mouth with a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar- who would have thought?!
There are many ways to use ACV- drink 1 TBLS in warm water with lemon and honey as a detoxifying way to start the day, or use on vegetables or salads for a nutrient dense condiment. I always buy mine raw and organic, I like the brand Eden Organics, but any high quality brand will do and last for a while! The dressing in the recipe below is one of my favorites, but definitely experiment with different herbs, 1 part olive oil, and 3 parts ACV for a delicious and health conscious dressing that will keep in the fridge for weeks!
Until next time, stay well, eat well, and have a beautiful week!
- 3 Parts Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Part Olive Oil
- 3 TBLS Fresh Parsley
- 1 Garlic Cloves, Finely Chopped
- Sea Salt to Taste
- Juice of 1 Fresh Lemon
- Whisk all ingredients together and store in fridge for up to 3 weeks. Enjoy on salads, cooked vegetables, or anything else you would need a delicious dressing for!