Well, its not exactly red, white, or blue…but…serving guacamole as an appetizer never gets old! Its full of healthy fat (keeps you full for hours- aka you will eat less “junk”!), contains lots of fiber, and tastes amazing! The recipes below is probably the easiest way to make a tasty guacamole, and will likely be the coolest looking snack at your picnic or summer get together. Who doesn’t like a dip served in a natural boat?!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 container of your favorite fresh salsa
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of sea salt to taste
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Cut the 2 avocados neatly in half, maintaining the integrity and shape of the skin. Scoop out the insides witha spoon, saving the pits, and put in a mixing bowl. Mash with a fork until creamy.
- Add the salsa, garlic powder, and sea salt and combine well.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon to keep it fresh.
- Scoop guacomole back into the shells, placing the pits in 2 of the halves to keep them fresh and for presentation.
- Serve with your favorite dippers such as carrot, celery, zucchini, or bell pepper sticks, rice crackers or rice chips, organic blue corn (GMO free!) tortilla chips or apple slices for a sweet and salty treat!
Don’t forget…its summer picnic season and there are lots of “tempting” options out there– bringing your own healthy snack to share ensures that YOU will have at least one healthy food to snack on! Plan to succeed 🙂
Happy 4th everyone- I’m so grateful for the country we live in! Have fun, get some sun, and enjoy doing something you love!
As always, stay well, eat well, and have a beautiful week!