I have gotten a lot of requests for a Shepherd’s Pie recipe after I posted a picture of it last week so here it is! This recipe is definitely under the comfort foods category. It has tons of flavor and is a deep, warm dish. The best part is that because I used mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes it leaves you feeling light and satisfied.
- 3lb Organic Grassfed Beef (www.tfchealthfoods.com has great discount meat)
- 5 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 5 large Carrots (I like the multi-colored carrots from Trader Joe’s)
- 4 stalks Celery, chopped
- 2 cups chopped Green Beans
- 1 large head of Cauliflower
- 2 tbsp Organic Butter
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Chili Pepper Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add in all of your chopped vegetables and cook covered until the carrots are soft. Place vegetables in a large glass baking dish (9″x13″).
- While the vegetables are cooking, fill the bottom of a large sauce pan with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil.
- Chop up your head of cauliflower (I like to do this over a sink because it is SUCH a mess) and place inside of a steaming basket in the large sauce pan. Steam for 5-8 minutes or until soft.
- Add your meat to the large pan and cook until beef is no longer pink. Drain the fat from the pan and add beef to vegetable mixture in glass baking dish.
- Once cauliflower is done steaming, grab your blender/food processor and in 1-2 batches (depending on the size of your machine) add cauliflower, butter, almond milk, and salt and pepper. Blend until you get a thick, creamy mixture.
- Before adding the mashed cauliflower to your beef and veggie mixture, add 1/2 a cup of Trader Joe’s Chili Pepper sauce and mix until everything is coated.
- Spread your mashed cauliflower on top of the meat and veggie mixture. Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until your cauliflower is slightly browned.